A registered AHPRA paramedic in WA was:

… attending an elderly patient who has fallen at home. Not compliant with medications. Has had a couple of alcoholic drinks. Patients partner did not feel safe keeping him home due to regular falls and increased recent aggressive behaviour.

Not compliant at answering questions and makes threats to harm the attending paramedic crew.

Does not fall under mental health. Patient was refusing transport but the paramedic crew could not properly assess the patient due to their non-compliance. What grounds do we have to take the patient to an emergency department? Under duty of care is it ok to engage the police to force the patient to be transferred for further care and management against their will?

I think I have answered this question in respect of New South Wales – see Assessing capacity when the patient won’t cooperate (August 24, 2018).

If the patient is competent and refuses treatment, and the paramedic does not think the patient is mentally ill within the meaning of the Mental Health Act 2014 (WA) then that is the end of the matter in terms of compelling the person to go to hospital.   The police have no power to detain a competent person who is not mentally ill, to undergo treatment either.  ‘[E]xcept in cases of emergency or necessity, all medical treatment is preceded by the patient’s choice to undergo it’ (Rogers v Whitaker [1992] HCA 58, [14]).  The sort of emergency or necessity contemplated there is where there is ‘a necessity to act when it is not practicable to communicate with the assisted person’ (In Re F [1990] 2 AC 1) not just where it is a matter of convenience (Murray v McMurchy [1949] 2 DLR 442)).

Certainly, if there was concern for the person or his partner it’s ok to ring police but they cannot ‘force the patient to be transferred for further care and management against their will’ any more than paramedics can. Police could only intervene if there were other grounds to take action eg if they made or obtained a Family Violence Restraining Order (Restraining Orders Act 1997 (WA)) or took the person into custody for an offence or to protect them (Protective Custody Act 2000 (WA) s 6).