The answer to this question from Western Australia may be one of my shorter answers. My correspondent writes:

There are a few privately owned ambulance services and only one service which holds the contract for “000” calls in the state.   My question is – if a person gets injured, whether it be trauma or medical related; at home or in public, can any Ambulance service be contacted directly to render professional service and take them to hospital?

St John Ambulance Western Australia Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee (2014-2015 Annual Report, p 8). It has some legislative functions as it is ‘a combat agency responsible for the emergency management activity of providing health services’ (Emergency Management Regulations 2006 (WA) r 27).  According to the 2014-2015 Annual Report (p 76) “The contract for the provision of health services with the State of Western Australia was signed on 29 June 2015. The contract is for the period 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2018. This follows the expiration of the previous contract, which was for the period 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2015.”

So, as my correspondent has noted, St John is a private provider and is the provider that ‘holds the contract for “000” calls in the state’. There is however no ambulance service legislation in Western Australia so there is nothing to stop any of the other providers providing an emergency ambulance service. They may not be included in the triple zero response but they could set up a service where subscribers call their emergency number, rather than 000, and get their contracted ambulance service of choice to respond.

The limitations may be that there are conditions on the services’ authority to carry and use drugs or on their authority to operate as an emergency vehicle outside some designated area of operation.   I can’t access those authorities so subject to any terms of those approvals ‘any Ambulance service [may] be contacted directly to render professional service and take [an injured person] to hospital’.